Stone fence ideas: in our article today, we will help you gain as much information and ideas as possible on this subject, dear reader. Keep reading, and we will help you to know everything about it.
- Stone fence ideas
- Instructions for preparing stone for construction
- How to pour concrete under a stone fence?
- Brick fence
Stone fence ideas
There are many stone fence ideas and shapes and colours that you can choose or build in your home or your place to give it elegance and making it unique.
Building a natural Stone fence ideas
The fence made of natural stone is lovely, reliable, and impressive but, unfortunately, not always affordable.
Naturally, passing by such a fence, you compulsorily slow down a step and looks at a particular pattern of the stone.
But to equip your site with such a masterpiece of human imagination and hands, you will have to invest big money and a lot of physical strength and patience.
The material for the construction of stone fences can serve several breeds that have their characteristics, including:
A fence made of cobblestone
The most suitable alternative is the ratio of price and strength.
The most common colour in nature is grey, but you can often see cobblestones of brown hues.
Limestone. It can be processed and has nice golden sandy hues.
Solid and durable natural material; gravel; It has a relatively small part; therefore, in the construction of fences, it is not very popular.
Sandstone, the natural colour of this stone, is in many shades, from yellow to brown, grey and green.
Not subject to the adverse effects of bad weather conditions and sudden changes in temperature conditions, It was one of the most critical stone fence ideas.
Building a sandstone fence
Depending on the shape of this building material, which depends on the extraction method and properties, the stone is divided into two different types. What is the difference between them?
The first is a natural stone of very different shapes of various breeds.
On sale, you can find a marble or cobblestone mat.
The most practical and convenient size for building stone fences is a fraction of 200-400 mm.
Depending on the shape of the buta, choose the type of construction of the future fence.
The second type, Plotnik – a rough stone, plasticky – has a flat square or rectangular shape.
Building a fence from such a stone on your own is difficult, as it must be carefully sorted by size.
How to make a stone fence correctly?
- Stone fence ideas: the durability and strength of a stone fence depend not only on the choice of the breed but also on how correctly and qualitatively the construction work will be carried out.
- Selection of building materials
- For the self-built fence to have a beautiful appearance, the stone acquired for this purpose must be sorted by colour and size. If the material’s colour is not uniform, then it is worth thinking in advance about how it is more profitable to use this nuance.
Instructions for preparing stone for construction
About Stone fence ideas, the most beautiful stone is selected with a right angle to the pillars since its structure is the most responsible and painstaking stage.
Then, a stone with one side necessarily equal is selected on the front side of the fence.
If the cobblestone has a rounded shape, it is split with a sledgehammer.
The stone breaks into several parts from a hard blow with an even surface on one side. All remaining stones will be used from within the masonry.
Very convenient for constructing dolomite fences, which usually have a rectangular shape.
They are inferior in strength, but as an ordinary fence, they will serve long and faithfully for many years rather than a fortification.
Sturdy foundation – a guarantee of reliability of the fence
The stone fence is massive and has a lot of weight. Therefore, its construction begins with a reliable support arrangement – the foundation.
It should be complete throughout the entire length of the fence, even on the gate site.
- The stage number 1 will be careful planning of the fence line.
In the corners, pegs are clogged, and the rope is tightly stretched, which will serve as a mark. Then the corners of the future columns are marked.
The space between them should not exceed three metres.
- First, you need to dig pits for the corners, the depth of which should be at the level of freezing from the ground. The most right column is 40/40 cm. At the same time, a trench is dug for a stretching fence.
The foundation’s width depends on the fence’s size, but it should not exceed the width of the pillars.
How to pour concrete under a stone fence?
- Since you put the first cornerstone out ago, it is necessary to monitor the correctness of the angle. After placing the first corner of the column strictly vertically, the other three were placed similarly.
- Gaps and voids between the stones are filled with mortar, but too large can be covered with a stone of a suitable size. The seams are tightly sealed with cement mortar. After the solution has dissolved a little, the voids are filled in the middle of the column.
- The second row is placed to absorb first. Each subsequent row of masonry should have connecting joints.
- It is necessary to put out the formwork, which will serve as a stopper for the construction of the fence. It’s much easier to build with it. It is a wooden frame, the size of which corresponds to the width of the fence wall.
- Stone fence ideas are more challenging to build without formwork, but it is possible. For this purpose, the width of the span of the fence on the foundation is observed, and the cement slurry is evenly laid. First, the stone is laid out with the flat side out from the pole on one side and the other.
- Vertical and horizontal are checked strictly.
- After that, the stones are similarly placed on the other side of the span. Between the poles, two parallel ropes are stretched over the stretch so that you can control the correct construction.
Other steps about Stone fence ideas
- And when you put the entire first row, all voids are filled with cement mortar.
- The second and subsequent rows are constructed only after the total hardening of the cement slurry of the previous row. It is necessary to try so that the cement does not get on the front side of the masonry.
- In case of pollution, the building walls should be brushed after placing the cement in the masonry. Don’t forget to do the shutdown. So the construction gets a more beautiful look.
- A small amount of colouring matter may adding to the cement mortar for the cement to match the colour of the selected stone.
- When the construction of the fencing itself comes to an end, you need to think about what to hide the top of the pillars and the extension of the stone fence. After all, under the influence of atmospheric precipitation and wind, construction may begin to deteriorate over time.
- For these purposes, unique volumetric covers are offered, which are laid from above. You can also build your own hands with beautiful tin caps and treat them with anti-corrosion coating. A traditional stone fence, made by own hands according to all the rules, will serve for many years, delighting passers-by with its beauty and emphasizing the status and care of its owner.
More about Stone fence ideas
Where are stone fences used?
It can be used in privacy for houses, hotels, hospitals, companies, and schools.
And it gives the place great value, an attractive aluminum, and extraordinary elegance.
And after we talked about stone fence options, we will talk about brick fence ideas:
Perhaps no other type of fence can compare with brick in strength, beauty and durability. Therefore, many private land owners’ desire to build a brick fence with their own hands is very significant.
Let’s take a quick look at the process of building such a fence and compare all its disadvantages and advantages.
Like any other building material, brick has its advantages and disadvantages. Learn more about all of them.
Advantages of a brick fence
Dependable defence against uninvited intruders entering the territory.
Able to withstand outside impacts (wind, snow loads, precipitation, mechanical stress, etc.).
It does not require special maintenance during its operation.
Among the disadvantages are the following
Large consumption of materials, their high cost.
Spending much time and effort to build such a fence complicates the construction scheme.
Transportation difficulties and relatively high price.
As you can see from the above, you will have to choose between spending effort, time, money and subsequent quality.